Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Sloppy Joes.....with Venison

Today, I've got a quick twist on a classic.  Sloppy Joes.  I love them, as witnessed here and here.

But, never with deer.  Remember when 1-2 killed his first deer?  Well, I finally got the meat to help make dinner. 


Verdict:  Pretty good.  Now, I will tell you, that it is a bit different tasting than ground beef....but, verrrrrry lean and flavorful.  Some would say gamey.  I just say different.  As you can see, I served with baby carrots, corn, and tater tots.  I just can't get away from the little kid inside of me can I?  :)


I also served these open faced, with cheese on the bottom.  It was easy, quick, and cheap.  My kinda meal these days. 

I don't know your stance on hunting.....but, for me and my family, its a way to put meat on the table for dinner.  I have a few more packs of ground venison to try out....tacos, maybe pasta of some sort....so stay tuned.  Happy Thanksgiving Eve everyone! 


I'm thankful for being active again.  After a week's hiatus from a major illness, I'm finally ready to tackle the treadmill (good thing right before Thanksgiving, huh?).  Can't wait to listen to my music and rock out while walking! 



Enjoy!
See you Friday for another quick meal~
B


Venison Sloppy Joes

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground venison (or beef if you opt for that)
1 can (15.5 oz) sloppy joe sauce (I used original Manwich...but there are tons of varieties out there)
1/3 cup frozen chopped onions
4 tbsp EVOO
4 100 calorie sandwich thins (I used Arnold brand, but there are tons of brands out there)

serve with (optional):  tater tots, baby carrots, and steamed corn, and shredded cheese

Directions:
1.  Heat EVOO in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add in onions and cook 1-3 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.  Add in ground venison and cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, about 5-7 minutes until cooked through. 
2.  Add in a can of sloppy joe sauce and cook 2-3 more minutes until warmed through and thick. 
3.  Serve on sandwich thins with shredded mozzarella.  Add in our optional toppings if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment