Friday, September 16, 2011

Sloppy Joes over.....Potatoes????

Yep, you read that title right.  Sloppy joe mixture spooned over potatoes.  I was trying to be creative....

Well, ummmm, lets be honest....

I didn't have hamburger buns.  And I didn't want it over pasta....or pizza (though, those are two brilliant ideas.....maybe 2 other posts for another time....)

But, I needed a quick meal.  A fun meal.  A yummy delish meal.

Enter kid-friendly sloppy joes.  And frozen potatoes.  Couldn't have been simpler. 





Now, I don't have a picture of the mixture together...but I know ya'll are intelligent and can picture spooning the above beef, bean, corn, onion, and sloppy joe sauced skillet onto the top of the potatoes. 

For the life of me, I can't understand why I didn't snap the two together.....

OH, that is right...I was so hungry...I kinda just dove right in... ;)

Here is the mixture on the stove prior to adding the sloppy joe sauce.....



MMMMM......some of my fave ingredients....I only used 1/2 pound of ground beef, so I bulked it up with black beans and corn.  You can use tons of different bean and veggie options to help add bulk and color to your dish.  You could even use lentils that you cook instead of beef....give it that vegetarian spin!

Look #2....see the steam rising......that is why it looks cloudy.

Yes, I know...its been a while since I've photographed food....I'll get working on it asap!

Here's another after adding in the sloppy joe sauce....

I let it simmer for 10 minutes until it thickened a bit and warmed through.  Such a comforting meal. 

Serve sloppy joes over potatoes...you won't go wrong! 


Enjoy! 
Happy Friday!
See ya'll soon!

B =)

Sloppy Joes over Potatoes

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn (I just put in frozen and let it thaw)
1/3 cup chopped onions
1 tsp canola oil
1 (15 oz) can sloppy joe sauce (I used Great Value Brand)
1 bag (15 oz) size frozen oven red potatoes with garlic, olive oil, and herbs (I used Alexia brand)

Directions:
1.  Heat oil over medium heat in nonstick skillet.  Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes until soft and translucent.  Add in ground beef, breaking up while it cooks, about 5-7 minutes.
2.  Once ground beef is browned, add in your can of black beans and frozen corn.  Let both heat through, 2-3 minutes.  Add in can of sloppy joe sauce.  Reduce heat to medium low and let simmer 10 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened.
3.  In the meantime, preheat your oven and prep your baking sheet for the potatoes.  Bake as directed on the package.  Remove and place a serving into bowls. 
4.  Spoon mixture over potatoes and serve.  You could top with cheese or chives or anything you wanted.  I served with baby carrots for some crunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment