Wednesday, August 3, 2011

BBQ Chickpea and Caramelized Onion Pizza

I promise I still cook.  Its just been recently, I've been feeling.........HOT.

And not in the....woohoo look at me...I'm so gorgeous hot! 

Just the...its so stinking warm outside I don't even want to move hot.  Its just stifling.  I've just been eating sammies and cereal for dinner.

Yep, cereal.  Its cool, refreshing, and easy to fix when I don't even want to cut the stove or the oven on at all.  I used to do it all the time.  I lived off of golden grahams in college....and in law school (I won't lie).

But, I did it last night.  I cut that oven on.  My roomie just came back yesterday from a trip, and I wanted to show her (and myself) that I still know how to cook...and to give her the image that I've been cooking for the past week and a half since she's been gone.  And to be the best roomie ever and cook her dinner to welcome her back home...its been lonely without her in the house!

I'm so June Cleaver aren't I?...don't answer that...I realize she wouldn't even dream of serving cereal for dinner.

BUT....S knows me better than that.  I couldn't fool her.  She knows me too well.  ;) 

Enter my return to the culinary world:  BBQ Chickpea Pizza!


All I have to say is thanks to Jenna @Eat, Live, Run for the recipe

Since I saw it last week, I haven't been able to get it out of my mind...everything from "beans..on a pizza????" to "geez that looks so good" to "okay, I'm gonna try it"

Well, my pictures weren't nearly as stellar as hers, but it sure was tasty!  So tasty in fact, I've made it twice already in the past 4 days!  I tweaked it the second time around, and it was just as tasty.  I even love it the next day as cold leftovers!  What a great and filling lunch!

My first version was *almost* like Jenna's...except...I had no gouda cheese.  And I kinda burned my onions more than caramelized them *blush*.....so I improvised with what I had...burned onions, and a combo of sharp/mozzarella cheese. 

See my blackened onions????  I mayyyybe cooked them a bit long.
But, the chickpeas...oh the chickpeas were so delish!  I don't know what the oven does to their little skins, but they were so meaty!  Such a fun way to introduce beans into a diet (1-2, I'm talking about you.......)


Its also such an inexpensive meal idea...and one that has saved me tremendous amounts of money so I can spend more on things like...cereal, for those all important nights we don't want to cook.  (I bet you can imagine what 1-2's face looked like this past weekend when I explained to him my cereal for dinner habit)


The first time I made this, I served with my fave coleslaw.  It just complimented the bbq flavors so well.

Round 2 was last night....I didn't caramelize the onions this time.  Just sauteed in butter until they were translucent, and added corn to up the veggie quotient.  The results were just as delicious!






I think you'll really enjoy this combination!  Even my roomie, who I think was a bit skeptical (I was too at first)....was very impressed....she gobbled up a piece and shook her head yes while she was munching away!  So, I feel like I've proved my culinary prowess again....

Now, if I can just conquer the roasting the raw chicken thing...then I'd be set!  Oh well, maybe the famous "engagement chicken" is up next?????  You'll have to tune in to see!


What recipe have you tried recently that you weren't totally sure of, but totally loved once you did it?


Enjoy!

See ya'll soon~
B



BBQ Chickpea Pizza

inspired by Eat, Live, Run

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:
1 recipe pizza dough (I use Great Value pizza dough from Walmart)
1/3-1/2 bbq sauce (I used Bulls Eye Carolina Style BBQ sauce)
1/3 cup chopped onions
1/3 cup corn kernels (either fresh or frozen)
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 cup shredded sharp/mozzarella blend cheese
1 tbsp butter

Directions:
 1.  Prepare pizza dough as directed, prebaking crust for 5 minutes as necessary (this is what I must do for mine).  Make sure oven is preheated (mine needs to be at 475)
2.  In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat.  Add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft and translucent.  Add in corn kernels and cook 2-3 more minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
3.  Once corn and onions are soft and warm, add in can of chickpeas and cook for 2-3 more minutes until they have gotten slightly toasted. 
4.  Once your crust is ready to top (again, according to instructions), add sauce and spread it thinly, leaving a 1 inch border around the edges.  Top with chickpea mix.  Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake for 7-9 minutes until crust is golden brown and the cheese is nicely melted. 
5.  Cool for 5 minutes.  Slice and serve.  Prepare to be amazed.

1 comment: