Friday, August 5, 2011

"Remind Me" Why I Love Veggies...

So, one of my newest "IT" songs of this week is....Remind Me by Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood.

If you haven't seen the video, check it out.  I highly suggest watching it...then doing lunges like crazy afterwards.....Carrie's legs look AMAZING!

I was listening to this music while crafting this meal.  Sure, the song is about asking someone to remind them why they fell in love with one another.  Its sweet and sad at the same time.  Its also kinda romantic and makes me want to just tell 1-2 all the time why I love him so.  Its because of this song, I sweetly batted my eyes at 1-2 on Saturday night and told him I didn't ever want to be like the 2 people in the song......he humored me, smiled, said no, we won't....and then went back to playing Xbox.

So much for a romantic moment huh?  

Anyways, the reason for the comparison to this song and this post is this.  I used to love veggies.

All the time.  It wasn't always like that.  Until I turned 18, I didn't eat a veggie....

Does ketchup count?  Maybe french fries.  Yes, I wasn't the healthiest eater back then.

But, once 18 hit, I was a veggie fanatic.  Just changed overnight.


All was good until about.....ehhhh.......a few months ago.  I didn't eat them anymore.  Well, I did, just not like I used to.  Its weird.  I used to crave them....now, not so much.  So, this song is a reminder to me of why I love them.....

They are versatile....can go in anything from mac-n-cheese to pizza and even raw on their own dipped in in hummus. 

They are colorful.  I love colors. 

They are filling.  I can pump up pasta or rice or any rich dish with veggies and I can eat more.  More veggies=lesser richness.  And the fiber goes a long way in keeping me regular...something I'm sure no one knows anything about on here :)


But, something happened last week.  I just decided I wanted to eat them again.  And I wanted to enjoy them in their purest form (in my opinion anyway)...steamed!  So, I served them with black beans, brown rice, and steamed broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower.  I could split the entire meal in half...and I had a dinner one night...and a lunch the next.  Love it when that happens.


Dinner....thats salsa on top of the rice for flavor.  I realize after taking the pic its a tad on the bland side flavor wise, so I jazzed it up with some salt, pepper, and some salsa.  
And here's lunch, already in tupperware and mixed together....great little salad!

Salsa and Shredded cheese are to the side in separate containers.  

See, easy quick meals...and all of a sudden, I'm back in love!  Can't wait to incorporate more into my diet in the coming weeks!  

What do you do when you actually fall off the veggie wagon?  

Enjoy!
See ya'll soon~

B

No comments:

Post a Comment