Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Breakfast Pizza



Tuesday night, I wanted pizza.  But, I had leftover deer sausage to use up.  And this sausage tasted more like breakfast sausage than italian dinner type sausage....so why not make scrambled eggs and sausage pizza?

Kinda didn't know how to sell it to 1-2....he's not usually a breakfast for dinner guy.  But, he was open to giving it a whirl (I know he was tired and really didn't want to cook anything himself...so this was probably the next best thing).  I was kinda scared (hell, I usually am...about everything!), but I went forth with the idea anyway and truly ADORED the results!


I made the eggs well too.  Those things have plagued me since I learned how to cook.  I've always overcooked them, or not cooked them enough. This time though, they were just right.

And a bit about the deer sausage...don't be afraid to try it.  Deer is so lean, it has to be mixed with another meat (one you've probably eaten before...assuming you eat meat).  But, you could make this with pork sausage, turkey sausage, chicken sausage, or even veggie sausages.  Its up to you!


We at the whole thing.  Watching an SVU Marathon (apparently it comes on every Tuesday on USA...where have I been?).  While trying to fend off a hungry 13 pound beast who wanted our scraps.  It was perfect.  Delicious.  Rewarding.  Nice.



Enjoy!
 ~B

Breakfast Pizza

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:
1 prepared pizza crust (I used Great Value package mix and fixed that per the directions)
1/2 lb deer sausage, cooked and sliced into bite sized pieces
6 eggs, beaten gently
3 tbsp milk
pepper
1 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 tbsp butter
hot sauce (optional)

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven as directed on pizza crust.  Mix and prebake if necessary (mine has to).
2.  In a medium skillet, cook deer sausage over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until reheated.  Remove from heat.
3. Once you have prebaked the crust, if necessary, spread 1 tbsp butter on dough and allow it to sink in.  Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.  Top with warmed sausage.  Bake in the oven per your dough's instructions.
4.  While pizza is cooking scramble eggs.  I put the eggs in a bowl and beat them gently.  I added in the milk and pepper (I generously sprinkled pepper) and beat eggs some more to incorporate more air into the mixture.  Using the skillet I warmed the sausage with, I put this over low heat.  Once it was warm, I poured the eggs in and slowly began stirring, until the eggs began to set.  I kept stirring until they were cooked through...about 3-5 minutes (depends on your degree of doneness you like.
5.  Once you remove the pizza from the oven (my crust was done in 7 minutes), then I topped the pizza with the scrambled eggs and the rest of the cheese.  I sprinkled it with hot sauce for a garnish.  Cut in half and serve!!!!  It was buttery, cheesy, and eggy.  A great combination any night/day of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment