Thursday, December 8, 2011

Beer Waffles.........and Fried Apples


Well, this dinner taught me alot about life.  About its ups and downs.  About failures and successes.  How to be just good enough.

And you thought this was just a waffle?  Turns out, going through almost a stick of butter will put some perspective in your life.  =)

I was going to follow this recipe exactly.  Give 1-2 a yummy, soul warming meal on a chilly evening. 

However, the cinnamon caramel apples got chucked.  I don't work well with hot sugar.  It burned too quickly and my milk wasn't hot enough to meld seamlessly with the sauce.  So, I ended up with a black, lumpy mess with curdled milk (yeah...I didn't take a picture...just not appetizing).

I got down on myself.  I usually am pretty good in the kitchen and I know that if nothing else is going right in my life...I got the cooking part down pat.  If its just me, I'd have chucked my entire plan for dinner and sat in front of episodes of Friends eating tortilla chips and salsa for dinner declaring myself to be the worst chef ever.  But, I felt for my pride's sake...I should try at least the waffles.  I do know that I can make some of those.....so, to the fridge I went for flour, milk, butter....and beer????



Yep.  Beer.  And not just any ol' beer....good ole Busch Light.  The Beast. 

I know this original recipe was made with a cooler beer than that...but even with this brand (admittedly it is wayy cheaper than alot of beers out there...and some/most may argue it is like water or has no taste)....it tasted good.  And hey, I did get some beer for myself after I poured off the 3/4 cup I needed for the waffle.

Classy huh?  Beer and waffles.....maybe a new combo brewing here.

It was delicious. 

The apples don't really have a recipe...just core and slice up 2 golden delicious apples and cook over low heat with 2 tbsp melted butter and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon.  Let them sit over low heat for a while until they start to break down and get soft.  I like the peel...but you can peel them if you so desire.

I'm sure just about any type of beer will do.  It made alot of waffles and they are light, airy, and filling! 

So from tragedy comes triumph.  I feel redeemed.  Have a great weekend everyone!



Beer Waffles
adapted from Brown Eyed Baker 

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup old fashioned oats
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup 2% milk
3/4 cup beer (I used Busch Light)
2 tbsp butter, melted (I used unsalted)
nonstick cooking spray

Directions:
1.  Mix all dry ingredients (flour through salt) in large bowl.  Set aside.  In a medium bowl, mix together all wet ingredients.  Add wet to dry.  Stir until batter is combined.  It will be lumpy!  
2.  Preheat waffle iron.  Once heated, spray with cooking spray.  Ladle batter onto waffle iron and close.  Cook until desired degree of golden brown.  Remove from heat and repeat until all batter is cooked.  
3.  Serve with butter, maple syrup, and fried cinnamon apples.  Its a winner! 

No comments:

Post a Comment