Friday, October 28, 2011

Ode to October......



Dear October,

Where did you go?  It seems like yesterday you just came into my life.  And now, after a short time, you are leaving me.  To go from warm days to cooler nights.  From pumpkins to turkeys.  From fall break to Thanksgiving break.  But, it was a good month.  1-2 was born this month.  Football is in full swing.  The State Fair came into town and fried everything and left me with a few extra pounds.  There has been a few major changes in my life (more on this later).  I tackled a corn maze.  And this little girl loves to go for walks with me..... 



Yes, you were a good month.  Thank you October.  We will meet again.  Same time next year ok?

But, until then, can I still enjoy fair food?


What???  It has to be healthier?

Oh ok.  Well, lets see if I can make that work....



Do not adjust your screen.  Yes, these are square.  And its cornbread.  And there is ketchup.  Any guesses as to what it is?


Anyone?



They are healthy corn dogs!!!  And while they aren't quite the same (the cornbread is baked and not fried after all), they sure are good.  And they will satisfy that "gee I'd really like something bad for me that I get at the state fair that is fried and greasy and deeeelicious" craving we all get at different points in the year.

I made cornbread batter and then pushed my hot dogs down into the batter.  I let them bake up.  Then sliced and served.  Not too shabby if I do say so myself.  I served them with baby carrots and ranch dressing.  They made for a quick dinner and a yummy lunch the next day.

What? You think these dogs are kiddie food?  Well, not 'round these here parts.....

My coworkers didn't know what to think of my square dog...but once they smelled it, they followed me around begging me for the recipe.  Guess all of us could use a little kid in our daily "grown up" lives....


What do ya say October?  Is that alright?

Good.  Thank you.  Take care of yourself.

Brooke


Have a great weekend everyone!

Question:  What is your favorite fair food?  Have you tried to recreate it at home?


Baked Corn Dogs
 from Laptop Lunches

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:
8 turkey dogs (I used the regular size...not bun sized)
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal (plain cornmeal, not the cornbread mix)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/4 cup 2% milk (but you can use what you have on hand)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
non stick cooking spray

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 425.  Spray a 11 X 7 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2.  In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (cornmeal through sugar).
3.  In a smaller bowl, combine wet ingredients (milk through egg).  Pour wet into dry and mix until combined.  The batter will come together very quickly.
4.  Pour batter into baking pan.  Place hot dogs side by side, leaving plenty of room to cut in between.  Batter will rise and cover hot dogs (mine didn't cover all the way...about 3/4...but I turned each one of my dogs where they were so they were all covered in the batter...the bread will puff up a bit).
5.  Bake for 22 to 25 minutes (depending on heat of your oven).  Let cool 5 minutes--very important!--as this will keep the cornbread together around your hot dog.  Cut into "squares" aka long rectangles.  Serve with ketchup, mustard, salsa, whatever you like to dip them with.

No comments:

Post a Comment