Monday, October 3, 2011

Homemade Fettuccine Alfredo......

Butter, cheese, cream........now, I must warn you.........

This is not a low cal dish. 

But, a very necessary one should you have a man like I do that enjoys these caloric meals.  I must admit though, it was HEAVEN.

I shocked myself.  I had never made it before.  I was afraid.  But, who am I kidding...I'm afraid of everything. 

Despite my fears, I took a step forward and completed this task...and it was delish!  This dish is definitely on my "bucket list" of food to make/eat.  I will post more on this later on this week....

But isn't that the whole thing about life...despite our fears, we take a step forward...and then another...and then another.....until the task is done? 

Alas, I digress........


Yeah, I caught you drooling.......



The best part of this recipe was that it was easy actually.  I know, I didn't believe it either.  But, it really was. 


I served it with ham and peas (my fave go to additions in pasta like this....for protein and color) and a ceasar salad (because it just isn't caloric enough lol).


Anyways, it was a winner in my house.  This isn't going to be an everyday food, but it sure is nice for a great night in! 


Creamy to the max...


Oh and ps....make sure you add a pinch of nutmeg.  You'll be glad you did!

Enjoy!
See ya'll soon~
B



Homemade fettuccine alfredo
inspired from Food Network

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:
1 pound dry fettuccine 
1/3 cup unsalted butter
2 cups heavy cream
1 pinch nutmeg (you can add more if you'd like...but no more than 2 pinches..it will overpower)
1 1/2-2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese (the kind you grate yourself tastes the best!)
black pepper
salt

3 oz ham, chopped
1/14 cup frozen peas

Direction:
1.  Cook pasta according to package, adding salt to the boiling water to flavor the pasta.  Mine cooked about 8-9 minutes until it was al dente.  Add the frozen peas the last 2-3 minutes of cooking to get them thawed and warmed through.  When you drain the pasta, reserve some of the cooking water.
2.  To make the sauce, melt the butter over medium/medium low heat (I erred on the side of lower heat for fear of burning the sauce or butter).  Once the butter is melted, gently whisk in the nutmeg and the heavy cream.  Bring to a slight simmer (again, I erred on the side of using lower heat to bring it to a simmer).  Once it has come to a simmer, lower the heat just to keep the sauce warm (for me, that was Lo heat).
3.   To assemble:  Place drained pasta and peas in cream mixture.  Toss with cheese, pepper, and ham.  If the sauce gets too thick, then add some of the cooking water to help thin the sauce a bit.  I didn't need to add any water, but I kept about 1/2 cup reserved just in case.  


Notes:  I slowly added the cheese.  I would add a little bit, let that melt into the sauce, and then repeat.  I had read about too many horror stories of the cheese just glopping up and making the sauce to tight to even deal with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment