Friday, October 7, 2011

BBQ Turkey Cheeseburger Rice

Rare are the days when I can get recipe inspiration in just one moment.

But, it happened this time.


I was driving home Wednesday evening after work and it just hit me. *Boom* Cheeseburger Rice.  I had ground turkey thawing in the fridge...had some shredded cheese leftover...some brown rice...and bbq sauce.

A meal was born.



I literally raced home after Zumba to concoct this.  I have had versions before...with ketchup and mustard as the sauce...but this time, I was feeling a smidge spicier than normal.  I wanted it to have a kick to it..more than usual.  I get like this sometimes....you just gotta bring it up a bit from the norm.

It had been a rough day, so I was just needing some excitement.

And greenery.

Mmmmm.....broccoli
This dish was simple to make.  I did dirty a bunch of dishes; but, it was okay.  I was more than happy to clean them up after the deliciousness I created.  I made the rice in a sauce pan, cooked the meat in a skillet, and then steamed the broccoli in the microwave.  And, I definitely got 4 good servings out of this....meaning 3 other meals after this one!  I'm so looking forward to lunch today!  My colleagues were so jealous.  It reheats like a dream too.  Now, I must admit...I separated out each individual element so you could see what my concoctions looked like BEFORE I laid into it.

Before:


After:


You see....I'm a smoosher.  No, not that Jersey Shore type smushing.  But, I smoosh everything together.  It might not be pretty...but it sure is wonderful to eat!


Do you "smoosh" stuff together?  Come on...just let me know.......I won't judge... ;)

Enjoy!
See ya'll soon~
B



BBQ Turkey Cheeseburger Rice
serves 4

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey (I used 85/15 lean)
2 tsp canola oil
1/3 cup chopped onions
1/3 to 1/2 cup bbq sauce (depends on how saucy you like your meat)
2 cups uncooked brown rice (the 10 minute variety)
water (use directions on package)
1 package of steamable broccoli cuts
salt
pepper
1/3 cup shredded cheese (used to top each individual serving)

Directions:
1.  Heat canola oil in large skillet over medium hi heat.  Add in chopped onions and let cook for 2 minutes until they start to soften.  Salt and pepper your ground turkey.  Add to pan and cook, stirring to crumble, about 5-7 minutes.
2.  In another sauce pan, add water as directed on package to make 4 servings of rice.  Bring to boil and then dump in the rice. Reduce heat and cook, covered, for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and let sit for 5 more minutes until water is absorbed.  Fluff with fork.  Set aside.
3.  Steam broccoli in the microwave according to directions.  Drain and set aside.
4.  Meanwhile, add bbq sauce, a little at a time, to the meat mixture and stir.  See how saucy its getting.  Add more to make it more or less saucy.  Depends on your taste.  I probably went a little more than 1/2 cup of sauce, but that is how I like it.  Do what makes you happy.
5.  To assemble, equally split up rice, meat, and broccoli onto plates or bowls.  Sprinkle with cheese til your heart is content. Dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment