Friday, September 23, 2011

My version of American Chop Suey

So, most Friday nights, 1-2 and I are exhausted.  We are usually catching up from the long week and just enjoying relaxing and being together.  I like to cook for us then because its just more intimate and casual than just going out (though...there are nights for that too!)

Last Friday was no exception.  I had no idea what to do for dinner.  1-2 didn't really care as long as it was edible.  I had an idea.  But, it definitely got weird looks from 1-2 when I told him the name.

American Chop Suey.

Now, there are so many different ways to fix this dish...using either rice or pasta; ground beef or chicken; or, some kind of sauce (pasta or ketchup).  I've totally had it both ways.  This time I made it with pasta, ground beef, veggies, pizza sauce (didn't have any pasta), and cheese.  Couldn't have been easier.  And I totally had me a happy man =)


Very simple stuff.  But, simple sometimes means the most.  It was filling, fun, and fiberrific (I made with whole wheat penne pasta, and some frozen veggies).

Can I say how much I love steam in bag frozen vegetables?  They have totally made my life easier.  Sometimes, its hard for a gal to just buy fresh veggies and cut them up during a busy week.  This allows me to get my greens while getting them at the peak of freshness.


Now, I said I used pizza sauce.  I didn't have pasta sauce, but I felt like this would be a suitable alternative.  It worked.  That smaller jar (12 oz I think) made the difference.  1-2 doesn't like a bunch of tomato sauce, so this sauce was able to permeate the pasta just enough to flavor everything and give it a nice comforting flavor.  I mixed in 1 cup of shredded cheese at the end just to make it creamier.  Would have loved to try the shredded cheese with a touch of cream cheese in it.  That would have made it super duper creamy.  Next time, I'll try that.  I know 1-2 would have loved that as well.


Yummmmmmmmm....why is it the simpler things are just the best to fill your belly and soul?


Happy Friday...we made it!  After me being out of work the past few days for illness, I'm ready to be back amongst the living...and see my Gamecocks play football Saturday night!

See ya'll soon!
Enjoy~
B

What are your plans for the weekend?  I want to know!!!



B's version of American Chop Suey

Print this recipe

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef (93/7% lean)
1 tsp EVOO
1/3 cup chopped frozen onion
13 oz box whole wheat penne pasta
1 tsp salt
1 bag steamable veggies (with carrots, broccoli, snap peas, and water chestnuts)
1 (12 oz) pizza sauce
1 cup shredded cheese blend (I used Great Value pizza blend cheese), plus more for topping if you would like

Directions:
1.  Heat EVOO over medium heat in a deep skillet.  Add in chopped onions and cook 2-3 minutes onions are translucent and warmed through.  Add in ground beef and break up with a spoon until browned and cooked through.
2.  In another large pot, boil water for pasta.  Add in a tsp or so of salt to flavor the water.  Add in pasta and cook until al dente, about 9-10 minutes.  Drain and pour into skillet.  Mix with ground beef mixture.
3.  Pour pizza sauce into pasta/beef mixture.  Stir to combine.  At the same time, microwave the veggies as directed on the package.  Once cooked, open package and mix in with the pasta mixture in the skillet.
4.  Stir in 1 cup cheese.  Spoon into bowls and top with more cheese if necessary.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. My husband would LOVE this dish... :) I'll have to try making it for him!

    ReplyDelete