Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Rice

Yum.

This is all I have to say about this meal. I got my inspiration from a variation of Enchilada Rice I saw on another food blog.  I made it for my girlfriend and I for dinner.  It was one of those nights.  Laughter, good food, and easy conversation.  Reminds you to be thankful for these little things in life. 






My friend took one bite and said, "Wow, Brooke this has a kick."

Now, as you know (or maybe you don't)...I'm kinda square.  Not a spicy kinda gal if you ask me.  Most of my food is mild.  I don't like alot of spice.  So when my friend notices a bit more flavor, she's gonna say something.

Well, everyone can turn over a new leaf can't they......enter the world of spice with my green chile chicken enchilada rice.  It was so super simple.  Even I could make it.  And keep it spicy! 


Now, these would have been great with avocados sliced on top and served along side chips.  BUT, since I am trying to lose some weight and don't really need it, I left those things out (well, to be honest, I didn't have them in my arsenal).  I served it with a salad and it was just fine.  The spice made it filling, so I didn't feel deprived at all.


Wish ya'll could have joined in.  Why don't you make it at home and create those same types of memories with your own family and friends!  This would also be a great meal to cook early & pack for a tailgate.  Its even better after it sits for a few hours!  Then, I totally would serve it with a dip...because what goes better with beer than some kind of dip?


I must admit...I'm really diggin' these days taking a recipe and then morphing it to make it my own.  This must be me overcoming my tendency to be super duper square in this area of my life.  I like experimenting and seeing what kinds of creations I could come up with.  If you had asked me to do that even 6 mos ago, I'd have looked at you like you were crazy and growing a third eye.  But, maybe I'm more creative than I give myself credit for.....


Enjoy!

See ya'll soon~
B



Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Rice
inspired by Lynn's Kitchen Adventures

Print this recipe

Ingredients:

1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite sized chunks
salt & pepper (to taste for flavor)
dash of cumin (1/2 tsp to 1 tsp depends on taste)
double dash of chili powder (1 to 1 1/2 tsp depends on taste)
small amount (1/4 tsp or so) of garlic powder
15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
10 oz can green chile enchilada sauce (i used mild)
1 pouch Uncle Ben's Brown Ready Rice (ready in 90 seconds)
4 tsp shredded cheese (for topping)
10 oz can Rotel tomatoes, drained
1/3 cup frozen chopped onions
1 tsp EVOO
2 oz water (to deglaze pan & get up those yummy juices)

Directions:
 1.   Cut chicken into bite sized pieces, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.  Heat deep skillet over medium heat with EVOO.  Add onions once the pan heats up and cook, 1-2 minutes until thawed and translucent.  Place chicken in pan to cook and season with chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder to taste.  Cook until brown on all sides and cooked through, 5-7 minutes (depends on size of chicken chunks). 
2.  Add water and scrape up bits at the bottom of the skillet to get that flavor up!  It truly makes the dish!  Dump in the can of drained beans, drained tomatoes, and enchilada sauce.  Simmer together for 3 minutes until bubbling. 
3.  Microwave rice in pouch (90 seconds) and then dump that in as well.  Cut heat to low and stir carefully, allowing the rice to soak up some of the sauce. 
4.  Scoop into bowls, top with cheese, and serve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment