I'd be more creative and try out another dish...but pasta is cheap (HUGE thing for me this days), filling (especially the whole wheat kind), and versatile (you can do SO many things with it). And, I don't feel like making anything else right now. I promise Friday's post will have another carb in it other than pasta.
This post anyway highlights the sauce...made out of....none other than....
Wait...are you sure she wrote avocado? Surely you mean tomatoes or cream or cheese...not avocado.
Oh no friends...I mean that green, creamy goodness...every bit of it!
I was skeptical too. I didn't want to like it. I wanted to think it was crazy. But, after 1 bite...I'm in love.
And it was so easy. I didn't even use a food processor. Nope, not at all. Just used my hands...well, my fork...but I got the ripest avocado I could find. But, you can taste the flavor of the fruity olive oil and the clean avocado and the bright lemon flavor. I am not the biggest garlic fan, so I kept it to a minimum (which 1-2 was very appreciative of) by just using garlic powder instead of the fresh.
I'm sure it would taste even better with a fresh clove pasted up in the sauce...but my theme for this summer is Budget! Budget! Budget! (my budget is so tight, if I don't have it when I get home from the store, I try to substitute something if I can). And fresh garlic doesn't usually get bought.
I love the word zest. Its such a fun word to say...and think about....I mean, if you have zest for life, you just live everyday to its fullest. You don't let things get you down. You just enjoy every minute of what you are living, both good and bad.
I'd like to think a lemon is happy like that. And sending the little shards of zest into the pasta and sauce just wake everyone up and make the whole dish sing....
And to think, I've only just started my 3 different medications to get better.......wonder what kinds of other crazy fun descriptions I'm gonna come up with on day 3??
I just kept mashing the avocado with my fork until it was just smooth. The more I mashed, the smoother in consistency it got. Now, I must admit, the processor would have totally made it smooth. But, I kinda like it rustic. Chunky. Handmade. Made with love...
See, I told you...medications just make me say such wonderfully romantic things doesn't it.
Oh wait. I'm truly like that in real life. Cheesy. Romantic. Idealistic. Child like at times.
Just ask 1-2...he'll tell you the truth!
Now, I'm going to get better...and then get my bootie back in the kitchen to whip up some more delicious
See ya'll soon~
Easy Avocado Pasta
Served 2 people
inspired by Oh She Glows (ohsheglows.com)
Print this recipe!
1 medium RIPE avocado (very ripe--needs to be soft so you can mix the sauce yourself)
1 small lemon juiced
1/4 to 1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp garlic powder (or 1 garlic clove)
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp EVOO
1/2 of 13oz box whole wheat linguine
black pepper--to use for serving
pinch of salt (for flavoring pasta water)
1. Make pasta as directed on box, salting the water when it boils to flavor the pasta. (Mine was done in 7 minutes after coming a boil over high heat)
2. Cut your avocado in half, slicing around the avocado length wise and take out the pit. Scoop pulp from both halves into mixing bowl using a spoon.
3. Add in garlic powder, salt, lemon zest, and lemon juice and mash all together with a fork until it gets to a smooth, slightly chunky consistency (as close to the smooth guacamole consistency as you can).
4. Add in olive oil and combine again, creating an even smoother consistency and incorporating the oil, creating the "sauce."
5. When pasta is finished, drain pasta and dump into mixing bowl. Use tongs and stir pasta together until all strands are coated with the sauce.
6. Serve by dishing onto a plate and sprinkle with black pepper to taste.