Monday, July 18, 2011

Orzo with Chicken, Peas, Butter, and Parmesan

So, this weekend I was forgetful....like I would forget my head if it wasn't screwed on straight forgetful.

For instance:

I left my medicine at home....45 minutes away from my home....and had to go back and get it.  In the same night.

I left my face wash, shampoo, razor, earrings, and shoes too.  I had to go back and get them too.

Yeah, who leaves their shoes???  Oh me....I do.

I forgot names of people I've met and known forever.  I forgot street names.  I forgot my ipod headphones.

I just hope I remembered to pack clean clothes for work tomorrow......uh...well.....oops......

JUST KIDDING...I totally did remember them....

But, when you get in a rush and try to make sure you grab everything, something always gets left. 

At least, that is how it happens for me.

Luckily, this dish I made on the fly sure didn't miss any ingredients.



So, at least I redeemed my forgetful brain in the kitchen...can't say anything about how the rest of the weekend went. 

This dish was simple....was a combo of Giada's Little Stars with Butter and Parmesan from her Everyday Pasta Cookbook and Kraft Food's Parmesan Orzo Primavera.....

It was just so good....I ate it all up!

The ingredients to make it were easy....orzo pasta, chicken stock, shredded up chicken (which I had leftover from another dish I made previously), butter, parmesan cheese, and frozen peas and carrots.  I sprinkled on a bit of italian seasoning just for extra flavor at the end of the dish.


This meal will be great for either a night (or day) when you need a food hug.  You know, those days when you need a hug and maybe can't get one from the people you love....let your food love you a little.  Food should fuel us and satisfy us...this does both.

I've also been feeling under the weather (no doubt due to a stressful month), so this was just what the doctor ordered.

I admittedly don't like canned chicken noodle soup...while it is supposed to be very healing, I can't deal with that aftertaste...yuck!

So, I created my own version....minus the soup consistency.  To be honest, I'd rather have that when I'm sick than broth and noodles.


cute bowl huh?  Yeah, that was a World Market clearance purchase (loooove that place to get the cutest plates for cheap!)

If you haven't (or haven't even thought about it), consider this my way to food hug ya!

Enjoy!



What do you do when you feel under the weather?  Do you give yourself a food hug?  I'd love to hear your ideas....

See ya'll soon~
B

Orzo with chicken, peas, butter, and parmesan
inspired by Everyday Pasta and Kraft Foods

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:
1 cup orzo pasta
1 (14.5 oz can) chicken broth (I used Swanson's)
1/3 cup water
1/3 to 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp butter, melted
3/4 cup pea and carrot mixture...or just peas...whatever veggies you have on hand (defrosted if frozen)
3/4 cup shredded chicken, heated through
italian seasoning, for sprinkling on top before serving
salt, optional (to taste)
pepper, optional (to taste)

Directions:
1.  Combine broth and water in medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then add in orzo.  Stir to combine.  Cut heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 5-7minutes.
2. Around the 5-7 minute mark, add in your peas and carrots to heat through and cook.  The orzo is ready when the liquid is absorbed, about 5 more minutes or so.
3.  Assemble pasta....pour orzo and veggie mixture into mixing bowl.  Top with melted butter, chicken, and parmesan cheese.  Stir to combine.  Season with salt and pepper if desired.  Sprinkle with italian seasoning and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment