Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Waffle Wednesday: Apple Bacon Waffles

This morning, I wanted something hearty.  Stick to your ribs yummy.  Yes, I know its super hot out.  Yes, I know I was already sweating when I took the dog out this morning at 5:30am. 

But, its another excuse to make more bacon!  And another way to disguise fruit for those of you who are fruit phobic!

Enter our dry ingredients (I made these up the night before and stored in the fridge overnight in a plastic container):

its cinnamon, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt

I mixed those all together and stored overnight in a plastic container with a lid.


This morning, when I got up, I got to cooking......first, I took the apple and shredded it using my trusty box grater

Taking this:





to this:

 

Then, I took the time to get my wet ingredients together:
2 large eggs, canola oil, 2% milk, vanilla extract, various measuring spoons/cup (tsp, tbsp, 1 1/2 cup), and the package in tinfoil and in a freezer bag is my bacon....i always freeze mine for easy cutting and separating (I usually separate them into 2 strips each and wrap them in parchment so I can use the bacon for various recipes...and to keep myself from eating the whole pound by myself)

To create the wet....mix eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla together and set aside in another bowl



not sure what happened to the pic, but you can imagine those items together....

To fix the bacon, you need 4-5 strips, and cook it over medium heat until golden and crispy.  Then crumble those strips......

MMMMMMMMM.....bacon!!!!
Finally, to assemble:  
*****preheat your waffle iron---it should be waiting for you, not the other way around*****

1.  Mix wet ingredients with dry and stir until mixed (batter will be thick):

Then, add in apple shreds and half of the bacon crumbles and stir until combined.....



Then, using a soup ladle (I find this works great for my waffle maker), ladle dough onto the iron and close.  Cook until green light comes on and its golden brown.


Top with some bacon crumbles, butter, and syrup.  Dig in!


I mean, what can be better on a Wednesday morning.....well, except for sleeping in and having the day off of work............

 
You know you want some.........

Enjoy!

See ya'll soon~
B


Apple Bacon Waffles (made 4 belgian waffles)

(adapted from Jessica, who blogs at How Sweet It Is)

Print this recipe!


Ingredients:

dry:

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

wet:

2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups 2% milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp canola oil
1 apple, shredded (i used gala because its milder)
4-6 pieces of bacon

Directions:

For apple:
1.  Wash apple and cut off core in 4 segments.  Shred using box grater (the medium grade side).  Set aside.

For bacon:
1.  Cook pieces on medium heat in a skillet (I used cast iron).  Drain on paper towel and crumble once cooled.  Set aside.

For ingredients:
***preheat waffle iron***
1.  Mix all dry ingredients together in big mixing bowl.  Set aside or cover and refrigerate overnight (if you are prepping the waffles for the next morning).
2.  Mix wet ingredients together and pour into dry ingredients.  Stir until smooth.
3.  Add all apple shreds and half of the bacon crumbles into the batter and incorporate.  Batter will be thick!
4.  Ladle batter into preheated waffle iron and cook until light is green.
5.  Top with butter, maple syrup, and some of the leftover bacon crumbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment