Enter my Mexican skillet, taking some of my favorite spices (cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder), chopped onions, Uncle Ben's Ready Whole Grain Rice,
and then a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, a can of black beans, and a can of corn (I used the no salt added version)
Here's the easy assembly: I heated up 1 tbsp canola oil (not pictured) over medium low heat and added 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped onions (I had the frozen chopped onions in the freezer to use...I just added them frozen and let them thaw quickly)....
While that was heating up, I drained all 3 of the canned goods in a colander in my sink.....
Next, I added the spices to the onions and let them toast for 1 minute or so (not long at all, or else they will burn!) Then, add the mixture in the colander to the skillet and let flavors meld together for 1-2 minutes.
While this is warming through and combining, microwave your rice. When that is ready, just simply rip the rice package open and dump into the skillet and stir to combine.
To serve, I diced up some leftover mozzarella to sprinkle on top to let it get melty. I also halved an avocado and took half of it and diced that up as well. While you can use shredded lettuce as your salad base, I only had leftover cabbage mix. So, I used some shredded cabbage and put some of the mozzarella down. I scooped some of the rice mix on top and garnished with the rest of the cheese and set the avocado around the plate.
This whole dish comes together quickly and its a great way to get your Mexican craving for fewer calories than going to the local restaurant........
See ya'll soon~
Mexican Rice Salad
Print this recipe!
1 packet Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Ready Rice
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp canola oil
1/3-1/2 cup chopped onion (depends on how much you like)
1 (10oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 can (15 oz) black beans
1 can (15 oz) no salt added corn
1 avocado (optional)
1 oz mozzarella, diced (optional)
1/2-3/4 cup shredded lettuce or coleslaw mix
Other optional toppings: serve with salsa, sour cream, tortilla chips for scooping
1. Drain tomatoes, beans, and corn in colander. Set aside.
2. Heat canola oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until onions are translucent.
3. Add spices and toast for no more than 1 minute. Add in tomato mixture to skillet and stir to combine.
4. Cook rice via directions on package. Once finished, add to skillet and stir to combine all flavors.
1. Dice up some mozzarella cheese and halve an avocado. Scoop out avocado flesh and dice.
2. Put 1-2 handfuls of shredded lettuce or cabbage mixture on plate. Sprinkle with half the cheese.
3. Scoop rice mix on top of the greens. Top with rest of cheese and the diced avocado.