Monday, June 6, 2011

Recipe Re-creation: Brown Butter Ravioli with Peas, Carrots, and Lemon

Confession Time:  I used to be AFRAID of butter.  Yes, me.  I was so afraid of it even touching my lips for fear it would put fat on my rear end.  I did all I could to avoid it.....didn't buy it; cooked with "lighter" butter substitutes (I know...the horrors!); used any spread known to man in an effort to reduce fat and calories........


But then, one day....butter was the only spread offered at a business dinner.  Now, being the respectful person I am, I took a slab of it (pretending I had some social graces and to be honest, to impress my boss, because who doesn't impress their boss eating butter???) and nicely spread it on my bread and took a bite.

Boom!!!  The lights changed...bells rung.....fireworks ensued (what?  that doesn't happen when you eat butter?).  I realized how wonderful butter is.  In all of its creamy gloriousness and yellowy perfection.

And since that moment, I've used it ever since (but I never did figure out if the boss was impressed by my butter eating skills.....).  In every way I've known possible.  UNTIL NOW....
Its golden brown....go with me people.

Brown Butter.  I didn't realize there was an actual term for it.  I just thought that meant you burned the butter...not that browning actually made it better.  More nutty.  More golden.  More perfect. 

I've seen it on a bunch of blogs and read it in magazines.  Apparently, brown butter is in after reading it here and here.  I figured I was missing out.  So using a little inspiration from Kate at Cooking During Stolen Moments, a recipe was created.  Here is my Brown Butter Ravioli with Peas, Carrots, and Lemon:

What you'll need:


1 pound bag cheese ravioli (I used the mini rounds), parmesan cheese, 1 lemon, frozen peas and carrots, salt, pepper, butter

Getting started is very simple.....start by placing the butter in a skillet on low heat (i used between 2 and 3 on my stove top)


Melt completely.  We'll come back to that in a second.  Meanwhile, you are boiling water for the ravioli based on the package directions from the back of the package.....

    
Adding ravioli to boiling water.....  


Cook until done (about 5-7 minutes).  Drain well.  I also used this time to defrost/warm up my frozen peas and carrots by putting them on the bottom of the colander and draining the hot pasta water and ravioli over them. 



Set those aside.  Now, back to the sauce.....the butter should be nicely melted and have a golden color.  Continue to cook over that low heat for 5-7 minutes, swirling the pan frequently.  I know it takes a while but its so worth it.  I can't believe how wonderful it smells.  Is that weird that I smell butter???

Taking the sauce from this.....


to this.....again, lighting isn't great to see the marked difference like I could...so just imagine this color change people!  And remember, if anyone asks your favorite color, tell them its golden brown (thanks for the tip Claire Robinson!)

Now, your sauce is ready.  I added a bit of salt and pepper in here and swirled it around for good measure.  Then, I got to the fun part...combining and eating!

So, I put the ravioli and veggies into a sauce pan and made sure my lemon was zested and parmesan cheese was grated as well.....I love my microplane grater...you can use it for so many things!

I zested the whole lemon.  Grated even more cheese!

Okay, so the pasta........

Going back into the saucepan

Adding the sauce back in

Stirring in lemon zest and a bit more pepper
To serve, just garnish with parmesan cheese and a bit more lemon zest if desired........






Little pockets of cheesy, buttery goodness

Enjoy!


They didn't even stand a chance......

Now, who will help me to do the dishes?????



See ya'll soon~
B



Brown Butter Ravioli with Peas, Carrots, and Lemon


Print this recipe!

Ingredients:
1 pound bag frozen ravioli (I used mini rounds)
1/3 cup (5 1/3 tbsp) of unsalted butter
1 whole lemon, zested
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots mix (though just plain peas will work just fine)


Directions:
1.  Cook ravioli according to package directions.  Drain pasta and pasta water over frozen peas and carrots in a colander.  Place back in pan and set aside. 
2.  Zest lemon and grate parmesan cheese.  Set aside.

For sauce:
1.  Place stick of butter in skillet over low heat.  Melt completely.
2.  Continue to cook for 5-7 minutes, swirling butter frequently, until butter is golden brown.
3.  Add salt and pepper if desired.

Assembly:
1.  Pour sauce over pasta and veggies. 
2.  Add in lemon zest and more pepper if desired.  Stir well to combine.

Serve with grated parmesan cheese.  Very light, simple, and easy to create!

No comments:

Post a Comment