Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Waffle Wednesday: Whole Wheat Cherry Vanilla Waffles

Cherry Vanilla........

For some reason, I can't get this combo out of my head lately.  Maybe I've seen too many cherry recipes pop up in blog land.....maybe its because its hot outside and I crave the cool and refreshing taste of cherry ice cream...maybe its the Cherry Coke Zero I drank the other day......maybe cherries reminds me of standing in the kitchen as a kid spitting the pits at my brother.....whatever it is, I'm obsessed with cherries right now. 



So, I created this recipe to satisfy my craving.  I served it with vanilla yogurt and a sprinkling of cinnamon and dried cherries.  You could use any mix in you wanted to to enhance the bright flavor of this waffle (a teeny bit of almond extract, slivered almonds for crunch, a bit of cherry extract, etc)...make this work for you!  I'm all about trying to show you one way to make it...you take this recipe and make it your own.  Just allow your brain to flow.....and I promise you'll get a fantastic idea that fits your life and your family's lifestyle.....

Here is what you will need:



Bisquick Heart Smart Mix, 1% milk, whole wheat flour, sugar, canola oil, 1 egg, dried cherries, pure vanilla extract, vanilla yogurt, and cinnamon for sprinkling, waffle iron (of course)

First, you'll need to mix your dry ingredients (Bisquick, flour, sugar) together (I usually mix mine the night before and stick it in the fridge overnight)...........


Chop up your cherries...I took mine and cut halved them..or cut them into fourths depending on their size....



Then, the next morning you'll mix your wet ingredients together (milk, oil, egg, and vanilla extract).



Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour wet into dry.  Stir until combined.  Add in chopped dried cherries and finish stirring until all are incorporated.

Adding the wet to the dry

Dropping in the cherries in the batter
Stir until well blended

Ladle your batter into your PREHEATED waffle iron and cook until green light appears.


The batter made 4 belgian waffles.  The previous picture was taken while the last one was cooking.

Serve with vanilla yogurt dolloped on top and sprinkle with cinnamon.  You may also sprinkle extra dried cherries on and even slivered almonds for a nutty crunch.  You won't go wrong with these babies...simple, easy, quick, and oh.so.yummy!!!!



You always know you can use butter and syrup with these...I'm just trying to be a tad more conscious now that I must fit into a bathing suit in just a few weeks for my beach vacay!

See ya'll soon~
B


Whole Wheat Cherry Vanilla Waffles
(adapted from Betty Crocker Kitchens)

Print this recipe!

2 cups Bisquick Heart Smart Mix
1 1/2 cups 1% milk
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
cinnamon, to sprinkle upon serving (optional)
vanilla yogurt as topping (optional)

1.  Preheat waffle iron.

2.  Mix dry ingredients in one bowl.  Set aside.

3.  In another bowl, mix wet ingredients.  Pour into dry ingredients and mix until blended.

4.  Stir in chopped cherries. Ladle batter onto middle of waffle iron and shut the lid.

5.  Bake until green light comes on or until desired level of browning occurs.  Serve with yogurt and cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment