Friday, June 24, 2011

Frugal, Fun Friday: Pesto Pizza with Feta and Tomatoes

CONFESSION:  This week has been rough, both personally and professionally.  Just haven't felt like being creative or really doing anything at all.

This picture of my pup sums up how I've felt (sad) and what I've wanted to do (curl up and hide out)....

But even though this is what I feel like doing, I just don't think I look as cute as she does laying there like that......

So, instead of looking super cute, I decided to do what I do best....make pizza! 

And pesto pizza at that!  I am still dreaming about this meal I made...me and my roomie S couldn't get enough of it.....so glad I only made 1 pizza...if not, we'd be in trouble with our scales....

Luckily,  the pesto did the work in this sauce...I just had to assemble everything together.  Here is all you need to recreate this masterpiece! 

shredded mozzarella, feta cheese, roasted red peppers, 1 roma tomato, basil pesto (or any pesto you have on hand), and a pizza crust of any variety....

The instructions are simple....

Mix up the pizza dough!  I can't say enough about my Great Value Pizza crust!  Its fantastic and so easy to use!  Just follow the directions (and you can't beat the price.... $0.44 in my local Walmart!)

Once that is ready to be topped, then use the pesto as the sauce, top with chopped tomatoes and red peppers, and sprinkle with both kinds of cheese.  Bake until gooey perfection.  And eat alot of it....we definitely had no leftovers in our house! 

Doesn't that just make you want to jump into the picture and eat it?  It does for me, especially because its lunch time!  Its almost like going to the grocery store hungry...don't blog hop while hungry and staring at food pictures...it just isn't right......

I served this with a little side salad I'd like to call Ranch Coleslaw (recipe will be posted on Monday).  Yes, its super simple, but very effective.  Ever notice how those little jars of sauce, be it pesto or salad dressing can take ordinary to extraordinary???  (and wow, did I just sound like a commercial there or what??)

Slice however you'd like and serve.....in my house, its go big or go home.......

Yep, that's four pieces...I definitely don't play when it comes to my pizza......



Make.this.tonight! 

Enjoy! 
See ya'll soon~
B


Tomato, Red Pepper, Pesto Pizza
inspired by Baked Bree

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:
1 lb pizza crust (either prepped from a bag mix or store bought)
nonstick cooking spray (for pizza crust not to stick)
cornmeal (also to aid the crust from sticking to your pan)
1 jar basil pesto (or any variety you have on hand)
1 roma tomato, sliced thin
1/2 jar (6 oz or so) roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

Directions:
1.  Prepare pizza crust as directed on package, pre-baking if necessary to prep for topping.  Spray pan for pizza with nonstick spray and a sprinkling of cornmeal to help easily remove crust once baked.
2.  Chop tomatoes and red peppers in bite sized pieces.  
3.  Once your crust is prepared, then lay your pesto down as your sauce (almost 1/4 cup or so for a thin layer).
4.  Sprinkle tomatoes and red peppers over pesto.
5.  Top with cheeses, both feta and mozzarella.
6.  Bake as directed for your crust (mine was 475 degrees for 9-11 minutes).
7.  Slice and serve.  Enjoy the pesto deliciousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment