Thursday, November 10, 2011

Stuck...

The title of my post is how I feel.

Stuck.

In almost every area of my life, I'm stagnant.  Not moving.  Not creating.  Feeling numb.

Truth is, I haven't had an appetite in weeks.  (Which for me is very odd...I'm hungry all the time!)

I've got alot of emotions built up.

As the Pistol Annies say in there song, Housewife's Prayer, "Oh I feel like I'm burning up with words I ain't been sayin"

So, instead of giving you real talk about my life (which would not be pleasant at the moment)..I'm just gonna share the food....

Besides, that is why you're here anyway....to hear about my culinary adventures...not my personal trials and tribulations.  That is what therapy is for.  ;)



Caramelized Onion Orzo with Broccoli.


So.freakin.good!!!




I had no idea how easy making caramelized onions were....onions, butter, and brown sugar.


Seriously?  Where was that memo oh ummmmmm a few years ago when I started cooking?


I would have topped everything with that sweet, caramelized goodness.....




Try it.  You won't be disappointed.





And...I had tons leftover!  Perfect for lunch on the go!




Enjoy!
See ya'll tomorrow~
B

ps.  I'm thankful for iphoto. =)


Caramelized Onion Orzo with Broccoli and Chicken Sausage
adapted from The Healthy College Cookbook



Print this recipe!


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups orzo pasta
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 medium onion, sliced into half moons
1 steam ready bag of broccoli florets
2 links of pre-cooked chicken sausage, diced (I used 3 cheese Italian)


Directions:
1.  Bring water, broth, and pasta to a boil in a large sauce pan.  Reduce heat once it comes to a boil, and let simmer until liquid is absorbed, 5 or so minutes.  Drain off any excess as needed.
2.  In a cast iron skillet (or large skillet of your choice), melt butter over medium heat.  Add sugar and let it melt.  Add onions and cook until browned and soft, 10-14 minutes (depends on how hot the stove runs).  Throw in diced chicken sausage the last 3 minutes of cooking to warm through.

3.  Steam broccoli in microwave according to package directions.  Pour orzo, onions, broccoli, and sausage into a large bowl and mix well until all is combined.  Serve in bowls. 


No comments:

Post a Comment