Monday, November 7, 2011

Cook once, eat twice!

Hello!  Hope all had a nice weekend. 

I wanted to write today about how I make lunches through the week. 

I used to eat sammies all the time...day in and day out.  Starting in kindergarten, until the present.

While the meat changed (it went from bologna and cheese as a 5 year old to turkey and swiss as a 30 something), the idea didn't....sandwich, chips, carrot sticks, apple, and pudding.

Yes, I am still 5 years old.  Thanks for asking.  ;)

But, recently, I've been eating leftovers for lunch.  I used to not think that was possible...it was too many calories, or carbs, or fats, or proteins, or whatever.  It was always too much to eat dinner for lunch (gasp I know!!!)

I had a very skewed way of thinking when it came to eating, diets, and food balance (more to come on that later).  But, it was very wrong.  Now, I eat something different everyday.  And only an occasional sandwich.  I couldn't be happier....about this change anyway.  Here's how I do it:

I cook once and eat twice.

I cook one meal:


and eat twice...or in this case, 3 more times =)


Okay, so what I usually do when I make a recipe is this:  I make the whole thing (in its 4 or 6 serving portions) and then before I even put a fork in my food, I've split it up into meals I can consume over days for lunches and dinners (and breakfasts in the case of this dish). 

That way, I know I'm getting variety in my diet.  Variety has been a common theme lately...I've been struggling with my breakfasts, my workout routine, and my lunches.  Things change....why can't I just accept it?  Why is change so hard?  And this is just what I choose to put in my mouth....I won't even begin to tell you (in this post) how change is hard for me in other areas! 



Do you do this now?  Cook and portion out?  Or do you just portion what is left?  I do it both ways...so long as I have my clean plastic ware, then I'm all set. 

That is what I'm thankful for today:  dishwashers, plastic ware, and silverware.  I am able to have a device that washes all the plastic (and glass, silver, etc) that I can throw at it.  This is my way to stay green..not using a bunch of styrofoam containers and plastic silverware.  I think it prettifies my day...using utensils from home.  I get excited to eat lunch everday at work these days just by bringing these dishes from home.  If you want to join in, click here to find out!

If you don't do this, I encourage you to try it with one meal...this week.  You don't have to eat all 3 of the other servings right now.  Eat one for lunch the next day and freeze the other 2.  Give them to your roommate.  Give them to your boyfriend/girlfriend.  To your neighbor if she's having a bad day.  This is one thing anyone is excited to get.  Let me know what you think of this!  I do this all the time now...and will have more pics to show you how I do this!

Enjoy!
See you Wednesday!
Brooke

Chicken Sausage Rice Bowl

Print this recipe

Ingredients:
canola oil
1/2 bag (16 oz) frozen peppers and onions mixture (I used Birds Eye mix)
1 package chicken sausage (mine was pre-cooked 3 cheese Italian), chopped into small pieces
2 packages of Uncle Ben's Ready Rice (enough to make 4 servings)...or prep your own instant rice
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (to sprinkle on top)
salt
pepper

Directions:
1.  In a large skillet, heat up 1-2 tsp canola oil over medium heat.  Add peppers and onion mix and cook until thawed and slightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.  Add in chopped sausage and cook 2-4 minutes more until warmed through.  Salt and pepper your mix should you choose to do so. 
2.  Heat rice in microwave (90 seconds per bag) or prepare as directed on package.  I've made the rice both ways and I like them both.  Portion rice into plastic ware. 
3.  Top each serving of rice with and equal amount of the sausage and pepper mixture.  Sprinkle each portion with cheese.  Serve.  Or, freeze for later.  Or, put in the fridge for later.  Your choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment