Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Skillet Tacos

Here's something you wouldn't guess at all (yeah right)......I surf blogs for inspiration for meals (probably like most of you do).....and this is one of my go-to meals I found a year ago...and its been on my meal plan every other week ever since.....with a few minor B changes of course...... :)

Enter skillet tacos...........


Easy, simple, quick, and super filling!  Just the way my meals need to be these days, as its too hot to be in the kitchen for any length of time (other than to grab a cold beer...but that is a story for another post)

Ingredients are simple...lean ground turkey, chopped onions, canola oil, fresh corn kernels, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, corn tortillas, salsa, shredded cheese, and avocado for garnish.

It all goes into one skillet and cooks together...its even better the next day......



Yum Yum!  And its even better with creamy, green-y avocado! 

I added my own spice blend and salsa instead of taco sauce...you know...gotta give it my own spin....

In fact, its one of my favorite condiments....and it goes on so many things...eggs, rice and beans, chips, carrots, the list goes on and on for me....

This meal feeds 4, and has such a cool texture..not crunchy really, but chewy or, well...actually I'm at a loss for words how to describe the texture...

Yep, I admitted it....I actually do get speechless (now, those moments are few and far between, but still, food can shut me up occasionally)

Did you hear that 1-2?  Bring me food and I may shut my mouth...though you know, its only temporary........

Don't you just want some right now????


Well, come on over...I've decided to share....great meals are never meant to be enjoyed alone (at least in my opinion)

But, if you can't make it down to my place in the sweltering south, make this at your home...your family will love you for it!


Enjoy!
See ya'll soon~
B



Skillet Tacos
inspired by The Organizing Junkie

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:
1 1/4 lb (20 oz) ground turkey
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
1-1 1/2 tsp chili powder (depends on taste)
1/2-3/4 tsp cumin (depends on taste)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1-1 1/2 cup salsa (I used 1 1/2 cups and medium flavor)
10 corn tortillas
1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
extra shredded cheese, to garnish (optional)
avocado slices, to garnish (optional)

Directions:
1.  Heat oil in a large skillet over medium/medium high heat.  Add in chopped onion and cook for 1-2 minutes until soft and translucent.  Add in ground turkey, breaking it up as you go.  Season with salt and pepper. 
2.  Once turkey is mostly browned, add in your chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder.  Stir and let cook for 1-2 minutes more, until turkey is no longer pink.  Then add in your corn kernels.
3.  Stir in salsa and let mixture absorb the juices. 
4.  Take the tortillas and shred them up (just by tearing them with your fingers...I do 2 at a time) and
throw them in.  Stir the tortillas together with the turkey mixture, after tearing up four tortillas, then after 8 tortillas, and after 10. 
5.  Add in shredded cheddar and stir until its melted. 
6.  Slice avocado and prep it to serve.
7. Spoon mixture onto plate, top with extra cheese and avocado slices and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment