Monday, July 25, 2011

Hawaiian Pizza Rice

So, I did it.

I veered from pasta.......


Now, I originally wanted to put over pasta...and I *suppose* you could...

Heck, who am I kidding?  I originally wanted to put it over pasta...just changed to rice to give you another carb to look at :)

The inspiration comes from my favorite pizza ever...Hawaiian.  Ham, pineapple, and tomato sauce with lots of gooey mozzarella cheese.

Here's how the conversation went to myself (yes, to myself) one morning while I was putting on my makeup...

Me:  Hmm, what can I do for dinner tonight?
Myself:  Well, what do I have in the pantry....
I:  I want pizza but have no more dough....BUT
Me:  I do have ham in the fridge...and cheese...and pineapple
Myself:  And I have 1/2 a jar of pizza sauce in the fridge
I:  So, why not create Hawaiian pizza and put it over what I know I have...pasta?
Me:  Yes, thats it!  Hawaiian pizza pasta!
Myself:  Perfect..you're so smart Brooke!
I:  I hate to throw a wrench in your plans, but you've fixed too much pasta recently...you're gonna look like a rigatoni if you don't change out your carb....
Me:  Okay, well, how about over rice?
Myself:  I agree...too much pasta...but rice is nice.......
I:  Good job...we have a different meal.....now finish your makeup and get to work!





Sheesh, I'm so demanding aren't I?

Anyway, this rice/pasta dish is great and very easy.  It just requires a few things...ham, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and a can of pineapple rings.  I just diced up the ham and pineapple into bite sized pieces and added them into a little sauce pan and heated them through in the sauce.

As for the rice, I used Uncle Ben's ready brown rice...90 seconds make 2 servings...which was great for me for 2 meals!  I also took a few teaspoons of the pineapple juice and put it in the rice and stirred it around to get the rice all pineapple-y flavored....


Then just poured half of the Hawaiian pizza mix over the rice (the other half of the rice and Hawaiian mix was saved for another meal)...great for lunch and very filling!


Wanna come over for lunch one day?


Okay you do?  Good!

And one last question today before I go....why is it that a recipe I deem to be "super easy" has to have alot of dirty dishes?????  It just must be one of those puzzles of life I will never really know the answer to.....


If you come over to lunch...I'll feed you and then could you help me clean?  Thanks!  Me, Myself and I thank you......

Enjoy!
See ya'll soon~
B

Hawaiian Pizza Rice
serves 2

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:
2 servings ham (about 6 oz), diced up (I used 2 servings of deli ham lunch meat)
1/2 jar pizza sauce (I used Ragu Traditional Quick Pizza Sauce, the 10 oz jar)
1 small can pineapple rings, diced into small chunks
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1 package Uncle Ben's ready rice (I used plain brown rice)
4 tsps pineapple juice from the can

Directions:
1.  Dice up ham and pineapple into bite sized chunks.  Set aside.
2.  Pour pizza sauce into small saucepan and place over medium low heat.  Add in ham and pineapple and let it all warm up together.
3.  Microwave pouch of rice per directions on bag.  Separate rice equally into 2 bowls and put 2 tsps pineapple juice from the can into each bowl.  Stir rice and set both bowls aside.
4.  Top each bowl with half of the warmed ham, pineapple mixture.  Top each with 1/4 cup shredded cheese. 
5.  Eat and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. yum! kind of different, yet still the same :) Perfect for lunch tomorrow! Thanks for sharing at What's Cooking Thursdays :)

    www.savingthosedollars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete