Monday, May 16, 2011

Cresent Roll Pizza (from the WTR archives)

Another variation to the pizza theme…..we love pizza in our house!
2 cans crescent rolls (I used Pillsbury)
cooking spray for the cookie sheet
cornmeal, for dusting the cooking sheet
3 jalapeno chicken sausages, diced into half moons (I used Simply Good brand from the Pig)
1/2 package frozen pepper and onion mix (whole bag was 16 oz, so about 8 oz of the package)
12 oz. jar pizza sauce (I used Ragu Traditional Style)
EVOO
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
2 to 2 and 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used a combo of Sargento 4 cheese italian and Sargento sharp cheddar…I eyeballed it…2 big handfuls of cheese)
1.  Preheat oven to 350.  On a large cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray and dusted with cornmeal, spread out crescent roll dough on the cookie sheet.  Don’t worry if the dough breaks apart when you take it out of the can….just piece it all together and pinch together the seams and holes.  My dough looked like a patchwork quilt when it was finally laid out on the cookie sheet.  Place dough in the oven for 11 to 12 minutes until lightly golden brown.
2.  For the filling, heat up 1 tbsp of EVOO in a cast iron skillet on medium high heat (on my dial, I used a level 6).  Dice up the chicken sausages into half moons.  Add peppers and onions to pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until thawed out.  Add diced chicken sausages, salt, and pepper to pan and cook for about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, while onions caramelize and sausage cooks through.
3.  Remove dough from oven.  Spoon pizza sauce over the dough (I maybe used 1/4 to 1/3 of the jar), spreading with a spoon.  Then spoon the sausage and pepper mix over the dough as well, spreading it out as you go.  Next, I took 2 handfuls of different types of shredded cheeses and sprinkled it over the top.  I placed it back in the oven for 5-8 minutes to make sure cheese was melted and the dough was golden brown on the bottom.
It was very light and airy (probably due to the buttery crescents)….it was so good!  I would definitely make this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment