Friday, June 17, 2011

Waffle Friday: Coffee Waffles!

On most days, I'm just a ball of energy.  Excited to face my morning workout and the day that lies ahead.  I enjoy getting ready and picking out my clothes.

But, there are those days I'm dragging. Tired.  Ready to go back to bed.

Its those days I need more than my Diet Coke.  I need caffeine and I need it now!

Enter coffee waffles......



For me, drinking coffee in the summer is not appealing.

Its just too darn hot in the south and I don't like iced coffee......

But warm waffles with butter and maple syrup suits me just fine....spring, summer, winter, and fall =)

Here is what you need:





baking powder, salt, baking soda, sugar, all purpose flour, buttermilk, egg, and instant coffee granules (I used Taster's Choice brand)

Its very simple to make...here is how you do it.....

Add your dry ingredients and sift into a mixing bowl.  Set aside.

Take this:



Sift:


To this:


Next, mix the buttermilk and egg together.....


Now, comes the fun part...adding in the coffee granules to the buttermilk mixture and whisk vigorously until it goes from this mixture, which is very grainy:

To this....latte colored buttermilk...

anyone wanna drink this????....smells great, but I wouldn't...not with the raw egg....

Then, the fun part..mixing wet with dry...do this in 2 batches, so as not to overmix

Batch 1:


Fully Mixed aka Batch 2:


Pour into preheated waffle iron and cook until done.  This recipe made 3 belgian waffles.




  

To serve, top with butter, maple syrup, and sprinkle with chocolate chips...
coffee and chocolate goes so well together.....plus its a fab way to start a Friday!







Enjoy!
See ya'll soon~
B


Wake Up Coffee Waffles
adapted from A Cozy Kitchen


Ingredients:
Yields 3 belgian waffles

1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 egg
1 cup lowfat buttermilk
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules

Preheat waffle iron.  

Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar.  Set aside.

In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg mixture.  Add coffee granules and whisk gradually until granules are dissolved.  

Add wet to the dry in 2 batches until combined.  The batter will have tiny lumps, and that is okay.

Ladle batter into iron and cook until green light comes on.

Remove, and top with butter, syrup, and a smattering of chocolate chips.



No comments:

Post a Comment